The Mazda M5OD (and later revisions, the M5OD-R1HD and M5R2) is a 5-speed manual transmission developed by Mazda for use in several Ford and Mazda cars, vans, and light trucks. It features synchronized gears including reverse, and a lightweight aluminum casing. It is designed for use in 2x4 and 4x4 applications.
Note: Many "Genuine" Ford parts for this application are no longer in production. Aftermarket replacements are listed below. Parts supplied by the Original Equipment Manufacturer are marked with "OEM".
- Weight: 88lbs (40kg)
- Length: 29.5" (750mm)
- Height: 17" (430mm)
- Input Torque: 330 lb·ft (450Nm)
- 3.40 / 2.05 / 1.31 / 1.00 / 0.79 (4.0L Engines)
- 3.72 / 2.20 / 1.50 / 1.00 / 0.79 (All Other Engines)
The part numbers listed below are for M5OD-R1 transmissions mated to 4.0L OHV V6 engines. Part numbers may be different for the SOHC motor or for other vehicle applications. Also included are aftermarket parts common to vehicle modifications such as body and suspension lifts.
- Dorman cup plug - 555-108
- Dana cup plug - 219-3052
- Luk Clutch Kit - 07096
- Luk Slave Cylinder - LSC003 (no throwout bearing)
- Luk OHV Single-Mass Flywheel - LFW156
- OEM Slave Cylinder - 7A564 (comes with throwout bearing)
- OEM Slave Cylinder Kit - 7560 (O-rings, pins, bushings, sleeves)
- OEM Flywheel Pilot Bearing - 6K389
- Anchor 4WD Transmission Mount - 2666
- Anchor RWD Transmission Mount -
- Duralast Gold Starter - DLG3232S
- Dornan Shifter Repair Kit - 917551
- Shifter Extension 3" - PRA-3700 (SE3700) (for 3" or greater body lifts)
- LMC Reverse Light Switch - 47-0862
- LMC Reverse Light Socket - 47-0901
- JEGS Driveshaft Spacer - 555-60620 (for 3" or greater suspension lifts)
RECOMMENDED REPAIRS AND MODS:
- Rubber stop plug replacement: replace the rubber plugs near the shifter plate with a steel Dorman cup plug P/N 555-108 or Dana cup plug P/N 219-3052. You will need 3 plugs.
- Factory manual calls for Dextron III/Mercon or Mercon V ATF, NOT gear oil. Many owners have switched to full synthetic ATF fluids for their increased resistance to high temperatures.
- 1988–2011 Ranger, B-Series
- 1988–1990 Bronco II
- 1988–1995 Aerostar
- 1991–2000 Explorer, Navajo
- 2001–2003 Explorer Sport (4.0L SOHC V6 engine)
- 2001–2011 Ranger (4.0L SOHC V6 engine)
- 1988–1996 F-150 (4.9L 300 I6 and 5.0L 302 V8 engines)
- 1988–1996 Bronco (4.9L 300 I6 and 5.0L 302 V8 engines)
- 1997–2008 F-150 4.2L V6 and 4.6L V8 engines
- LMC Truck - Parts for domestic trucks and SUVs
- Rock Auto - Massive parts inventory
- Ford Parts - Original parts inventory
- M5OD Teardown - TRS user walkthrough
- M5OD Clutch Replacement Guide - Explorer Forum user walkthrough
- NAPA Clutch Guide - Stick Shift 101
Special thanks to The Ranger Station (TRS), and Explorer Forum for much of this information. Please check their sites for more information. Their members are extremely helpful and often have useful tricks and tips.